[time-nuts] glossa7 being whiney on eBay...

David Kirkby david.kirkby at onetel.net
Thu Jun 16 10:38:53 UTC 2005

Dr. David Kirkby wrote:

> Brian,
Sorry, I ment John  there.

I'll just correct something I said, since it was incorrect, and whilst
not a concern specifically of this mailing list, I'd rather it corrected.

Also I will mention another technical issue you will encounter if you
try to make the lists private. You may never be able to do it for posts
within the last year or two, no matter how hard you try. Even if you
destroy the hard disk you stored the data on!

> You don't need help from Mailman, *IF* you wish to do it.
>
> 99% of search engines (Google included) will respect a 'robots.txt' file
> directing them not to index certain areas of a web site. You could still
> have your page with links to the archives:
>
> http://www.febo.com/pipermail/time-nuts/
>
> so *anyone* could look at them (member or not), but their content would
> not be indexed by search engines. You might be able to put 'meta tags'
> in the outgoing posts with Mailman, but these tend to be old hat and
> ignored now.
>
>  From what I can determine from the URL, you would need just this one
> line in a robots.txt file at the top level directory of wherever
> febo.com is.
>
> Disallow: /pipermail/time-nuts/

Actually, the

Disallow: /pipermail/time-nuts/

in robots.txt

would stop the homepage for the archieves:

http://www.febo.com/pipermail/time-nuts/

being indexed too. If you left the directory structure at it currently
is, you would need to have multiple lines in robots.txt

Disallow: /pipermail/time-nuts/2005-June/
Disallow: /pipermail/time-nuts/2005-May/
Disallow: /pipermail/time-nuts/2005-April/

etc

to stop the contents being indexed, but not the homepage.

*IF* you were to stop indexing like this, it would be better to move the
data of the archives to

http://www.febo.com/pipermail/time-nuts/archives/

and still leave the homepage for archieves at

http://www.febo.com/pipermail/

Then just the one

Disallow: /pipermail/time-nuts/

would stop the contents being indexed, but not the homepage for the
archives.

BUT, I still stand by what I said though that I feel its NOT a good idea
  to stop the information being public.

You seem to have a mix of opinions on that.

Also be aware, that if you made the archives private today, it MAY (and
I am not sure here) remove them from Google's cache, which it keeps for
a LONG time.

Type this line into google:

g8wrb davek site:www.medphys.ucl.ac.uk

and you will find two links, to pages I wrote, both of which are broken.

However, click Google's "Cached" links and you wil find what was on
those pages, with the date last retrieved in March 2004. So despite
Google not being able to update that information in 15 months (since it
was long since removed) it still keeps a copy.

--
David Kirkby,
G8WRB

Please check out http://www.g8wrb.org/