[time-nuts] Data collection cycle -- multiple sources to one counter?

John Ackermann N8UR jra at febo.com
Sun Jun 19 12:39:53 UTC 2005

Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

>What you really need to look at is how often you revisit each source
>so that you don't get roll-over ambiguities.

I hadn't thought of that, though with visits measured in minutes I
shouldn't have problems as long as my starting time difference is a few
microseconds.  I've learned that it's very handy to keep one of my
Z3801As running about 10uS fast -- I can use it to sync the 1pps
dividers when I'm measuring against GPS or another on-time source.

>Switching too fast will also wear out your relays, and that is one thing
>to be wary about buying automation multiplexers on eBay:  A lot of what
>is available is there because relays started being unreliable.

That's a very good point.

John