[time-nuts] How close can you trim a Cs?

Brooke Clarke brooke at pacific.net
Wed Mar 9 17:11:54 UTC 2005

Hi John:

I too have been going nuts (maybe there's more than one meaning to the
name of this list server) what you describe.  I think I have a handle on it.

Assume that you had the C field tweaked perfectly and then ran the test
you are now.  I would expect to see random walk excursions away from and
back to perfect.  Now assume that the oscillator is close to perfect.
Now when the random walk variations occur at some point the time
interval will be perfectly flat for many many hours before it goes back
to the slope indicting the true offset.

Another way to think of this is that if the random variations were a
sine wave and they were superimposed on a line with some slope, then
there will be two points in each cycle where the combined slope is flat.

I find that it takes at least 3 days to see what's going on, a week is
better.  I just posted the idea of watching the standard deviation on
the averaged time interval.  This has been very helpful for me both in
confirming that my 50 degree elevation angle GPS mask is working and in
catching the FTS4060 loop oscillation after adjusting the beam current
gain.  Easy to fix the oscillation by cycling power (off for 15 seconds)
and quick to relock since the oven was warm.  Every now and then I get
an SDEV greater than 40 ns and just toss the data.

I think as you try to set to lower and lower stabilizes it's going to
take longer and longer to know if you're there.

The manual for the FTS4060 says the thumb wheels are 2E-14 per click,
but I've never seen it work that way.  Like you mentioned it's more like
change the C field and roll the dice for the amount of change.  Although
the direction of the change is correct.  That's why I have gone to a
binary search mode of choosing the thumb wheel setting.   I'm now down
to within a few clicks of the final value.

In answer to the subject line I think there is some limit imposed by not
just by the physics but also the design of the standard itself.  So no
matter how hard you try there will always be some error and it will
accumulate over time.  But if you characterize it then you will be
working with a known quantity.

Have Fun,

Brooke

--