[time-nuts] Phase microsteppers

Brooke Clarke brooke at pacific.net
Thu Mar 10 21:57:23 UTC 2005

Hi Carl:

In an old Austron brochure is says their model 2055A Phase Microstepper
works with either 1 or 5 MHz signals (no mention of 10 MHz).
The adjustment range is from 0.00000 ns/second to +/- 9.99999 ns/sec.
(i.e. 6 decades).  "Exact time base frequency adjustments having a
resolution of 1E-14 may be made."  Note that 0.00001 ns/sec is 1E-14.
It also has provision for changing the phase at a constant rate
determined by the thumb wheels on the front panel.

When I was trying to make a 1 PPS saw tooth corrector for the Motorola
GPS receivers I found an IC that was a 1 ns phase shifter and had just
enough range to correct the GPS receiver.  I did get it to work but
never could figure out how to get around the bug in the saw tooth data.
This type of chip would be one way to get down to 1 or using another
part number a fraction of a ns time step.  But some other method must be
used for finer steps.

73,

Brooke Clarke, N6GCE

--