[time-nuts] Where does the Z3801A 1 PPS come from?

John Ackermann N8UR jra at febo.com
Mon Mar 14 19:12:30 UTC 2005

Hi Tom --

I am logging the lab temperature at
http://www.febo.com/geekworks/therm.html and although I haven't done a
careful correlation, I don't think the temperature change is aligned
with the phase shift, particularly the sharp upticks that happen daily.

I'm not monitoring voltage (but I could...).  The Z3801A is powered from
one of those 48V UPSs that were floating around last year -- basically,
just 4 gel-cells with a float charger and some control circuitry across
them.  The external divider and the 5370B are powered from UPS, though
I'm not certain off the top of my head whether the UPS is always
filtering, or is a switch-over type.  The reference for the 5370 is the
HP5061A.

I wonder if the Z3801A has the same PPS stability as the 58503B.  You
mentioned the 58503B 1 PPS jitter was spec'd at some number of
picoseconds.  When I've looked at both my Z3801As, I see about 30-50ns
of peak-to-peak noise (with 100 second averages and logging times of up
to several days; one unit is a bit quieter than the other).

John
----