[time-nuts] Strange effect with C-Field change

John Ackermann N8UR jra at febo.com
Thu Mar 24 23:10:27 UTC 2005

Bill Hawkins wrote:

>Well, if you figure out how to introduce a 100 mS delay with a
>short length of cable, you should see a patent attorney.
>
>Wait a minute. Aren't you using a homebrew divider to get 1 PPS
>from the 5061? That's a fine way to get long lasting offsets, but
>I can't imagine why it curved up or why the offset went away. My
>money's on the cordless phone or static electricity.
>
>Bill

Nope, not using the external divider for this -- I'm going from the
5061A PPS output directly into the counter.

Re the cable and delay, I haven't fully thought this through, but wonder
if perhaps there was a break in continuity (say, in the connector
mating).  With a 50 ohm termination at the counter, you'd have an RC
network.  The 5061A PPS output is fairly healthy (I think it's 10V peak)
so the signal could still have enough amplitude to trigger the counter
through the capacitance.  Not sure if this is (or could be) the
solution, but who knows...

John