[time-nuts] GPS Timing receivers

Michelangelo Albertazzi michelangelo.albertazzi at gmail.com
Thu Oct 6 20:09:34 UTC 2005

Hi everybody,

I'm a final year student in TLC engineering, from the Polytechnic of Turin.
The subject of my thesis is the GPS Timing Receivers in general.

My main interests are:
1) Evalutation of GPS receivers performances, therefore I'm interested
in test procedures.
In this connection I've read the articles about the Test Bed at USNO
in order to evaluate the M12+.
My questions are:
- it is correct to evaluate a gps timing receiver just on the basis of
their 1pps?
- it is possible to test a 1PPS using a TIC without a reference clock?
- can you suggest me material (articles, proceedings and so on) about
this kind of tests.

2) Timing Receivers architectures: I'm mainly interested in
understanding how the 1pps is
generated within the receiver. I've read a lot of IEEE docs, patents,
manuals and application
notes, but I haven't understood yet some details (maybe they are
proprietary information!).
Could you indicate to me any material that can be useful to my research?

I hope to find some experts in that field, with whom to exchange
opinions and experiences.

I'm sorry for my poor English.
Thank you very much.

Kind regards, Albertazzi Michelangelo.