[time-nuts] Interfacing a 8dBm sine output of an OCXO to adigital logic standard

Magnus Danielson cfmd at bredband.net
Fri Sep 16 22:13:52 UTC 2005

From: "Richard \(Rick\) Karlquist \(N6RK\)" <richard at karlquist.com>
Subject: RE: [time-nuts] Interfacing a 8dBm sine output of an OCXO to adigital logic standard
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 08:13:40 -0700

> > 	http://www.icst.com/datasheets/ics2305.pdf
> >
> > ICS has many interesting clock chips which can be used for other
> > uses than what they were designed.  Worth a browse.
> > --
> > Poul-Henning Kamp       | UNIX since Zilog Zeus 3.20
>
> This chip has 200 ps of jitter!  There is no way you would
> want to use this with an OCXO.

200 ps at 66,67 MHz of jitter is bad, really bad. When I see that on
oscillators I toss it unless I know it is for some quite tolerant part of the
design. 2 ps RMS or less is what I usually expect to see from oscillators.

I wonder if that chip isn't really a DLL after all. They usually are.

Cheers,
Magnus