[time-nuts] Distribution Amp

Mike Feher mfeher at eozinc.com
Sat Sep 24 13:53:03 UTC 2005

This is for general information in case someone else needs an inexpensive
distribution amplifier for a frequency source. Just yesterday I received the
following distribution amp that I purchased on ebay -
http://tinyurl.com/bqalz . So far I have only completed some minimal
testing, as I am in the process of moving my lab but satisfied myself that
this would really do the job nicely. As you can see on the ebay ad it is
made for HDTV. It has 3 inputs and each input has six outputs. The inputs
can be DC or AC coupled. The testing I performed was at 10 MHz. I fed it
with one of my rubidiums with about a 7.8 dBm signal. The output on each of
the six output channels was about 7.3 dBm. This was the same regardless of
the input used or the output measured or of any loading on the other
outputs. It will be ideal to drive a bunch of test equipment simultaneously
from the same source. I did not yet measure any input to output phase shift
or output to output phase difference. Besides, as long as it is constant I
do not care. The outputs are also not isolated, but for what I want it for
that is OK as well. I intend to put an amplifier and a splitter on the
rubidium so I can drive all three ports at once giving me 18 frequency
correlated outputs. I am very pleased with the purchase. It is also small,
another benefit. I did not see any increase in the noise floor as compared
to the rubidium, nor did I see any extraneous spurious. The output, except
for the minimal signal loss was essentially identical to the input. 73 -
Mike

Mike B. Feher, N4FS
89 Arnold Blvd.
Howell, NJ, 07731