[time-nuts] Z3801A leap second bug coming up

Tim Shoppa shoppa at trailing-edge.com
Thu Sep 29 15:57:19 UTC 2005

As discussed a while back here, the Z3801A seems to believe that
on the evening of Sep 30th there will be a leap second.  Some folks
made comments about the last time this bug surfaced in the 90's.  What
happened at the moment of the leap second, did the Z3801A's time stamp
response to :PTIME:TCODE? go out of whack for a second, a few hours,
until a power-cycle/reboot, something else?

It seems likely to me that after a reboot everything would be OK, but
I'd like to avoid this if possible.  (Reasoning for why everything
should be OK after the reboot: the Oncore inside the Z3801A will
figure out a leap second is coming, but it will have the correct
GPS-UTC offset and will now correctly assign the leap second to Dec 31.)

I would be surprised if OCXO discipline was disrupted by the not-real
leap second but maybe it's possible.

Tim.