[time-nuts] IC for 1 PPS Output

Jeroen Bastemeijer J.Bastemeijer at EWI.TUDelft.nl
Fri Apr 7 08:22:46 UTC 2006

Dear Time-nuts,

 From a more theoretical point of view:
The source impedance is not such a big issue in a one way distribution
system. The most important thing is the load resistance (or impedance).
Reflections in a cable will be caused by the load-mismatch not by the
source.
As power transfer is not the primary goal in a timing distribution
system, a "voltage source" or low-ohmic source will perform just as
well. (Due to the fact that optimum power-transfer will occur when the
load and the source impedance ar the same).  Reasons why you would like
to have a resistor in your source output:
* current limiting, in case of a short (allthough, if you use an OpAmp
as buffer it usually has a current limiter inside)
* to damp out reflections caused by the mismatch of the load. A
reflection caused by the load can be absorbed by the source if it is
well matched to 50 Ohms. If not, the reflected wave, will bounced again
at the source, and again at the load, and again, and again..... (OK, it
will stop due to cable-damping  ;)  ).

Anyway, if your load is well matched to 50 Ohms, "any" resistor close to
50 Ohms will perform well. You could even consider using a variable
resistor in order to regulate the signal level.

Good luck with your project Brooke, best regards,

Jeroen

--
Ing. Jeroen Bastemeijer

Delft University of Technology