[time-nuts] D-Links NTP server vandalism

Ask Bjørn Hansen ask at develooper.com
Fri Apr 7 11:37:33 UTC 2006

On Apr 7, 2006, at 3:37 AM, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

> I'm sure some of you thought time-signals were an risk-free hobby:
>
> 	http://people.freebsd.org/~phk/dlink/

Geez, you'd think they'd have learned from Netgears mistake a few
years ago[1].

I look after the NTP Pool[2] system and having something like that
happen to say pool.ntp.org is one of my worries.  Yikes.

While having hundreds of servers makes it more likely that it won't
impact it the system dramatically, we are already struggling to keep
up with the client growth.

The vandalism to your server is a good reminder that I need to get
the "If you are a vendor, ..." page on the NTP Pool site[3].

As I emailed you off-list, I hope my friend can help you get in touch
with someone more clueful at D-Link.

   - ask

[1] http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~plonka/netgear-sntp/
[2] http://www.pool.ntp.org/
[3] I'm planning to offer service to vendors, but they have to use
$company.vendor.pool.ntp.org or something like that so it can be
turned off or pointed to their own servers or some variation of that
if/when their software turns out to be broken[1].

--
http://www.askbjoernhansen.com/