[time-nuts] D-Links NTP server vandalism

Dr. David Kirkby david.kirkby at onetel.net
Tue Apr 11 11:52:44 UTC 2006

Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> I'm sure some of you thought time-signals were an risk-free hobby:
>
> 	http://people.freebsd.org/~phk/dlink/

I don't see the Dlink DWL-700AP wireless access point on your list, but I
strongly suspect my DWL-700AP is getting its time from an ntp server, as I can
find no way to set the time, yet it is correct.

I can't obviously see gps.dix.dk in there:

sparrow /downloads % grep -i "gps\.dix\.dk" dwl700AP_firmware_202.dlf
sparrow /downloads %

but that is not definitive.

It seems unlikely gps.dix.dk is the only one being used without permission. I
suspect other server owners will start checking their logs. This could well be
the tip of a very large iceburg.

No doubt some bright spark will write a virus that converts ntp lookups on
gps.dix.dk to http lookups on http://www.dlink.com/