[time-nuts] How Rubidiums make their frequency

Magnus Danielson cfmd at bredband.net
Wed Apr 19 22:03:43 UTC 2006

From: "Dave Brown" <tractorb at ihug.co.nz>
Subject: Re: [time-nuts] How Rubidiums make their frequency
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 09:13:08 +1200

Well, first of all they state that it is 1/136 and yes it is preset put
available as a controlable thing as an option. See their sales-material and
you find it (I did):

http://www.freqelec.com/

>  The 50.255+ VCXO drives an AD9830-all fine tuning of the output
> frequency takes place by setting the DDS.
> Can anyone comment further on this?
>
> On a related issue- the physics package in these units draws a
> significant current at startup- I'm considering current limiting the
> suppy until the current drops back to a lower value-I guess this
> delays the warmup somewhat but it would reduce the current required
> from the supply to the steady state value, for example, thus allowing
> a smaller power supply rating.

I would not do that. However, the heater supply isn't as critical so it would
allow itself for a very simple supply anyway.

Cheers,
Magnus