Robert Lutwak Lutwak at Alum.mit.edu
Thu Apr 20 09:42:44 UTC 2006

At the risk of being accused of "propaganda:"

and Tom Clark, K3IO (ex W3IWI) <K3IO at verizon.net> writes:

>    The Cesium clocks in GPS have been less reliable (probably because
>       they are more complicated) than the Rb clocks in early GPS
> satellites;

You are correct that cesium clocks are much more complicated than rubidium
oscillators, but there is no evidence that the GPS cesiums have been any
less reliable than the rubidiums.  On the contrary, the cesiums on the block
IIA satellites have performed long beyond their design life, which has led
to delays in the expected demand for the IIR (and ultimately IIF) launches.

Regardless of any perceived reliability (or performance) differences between
the clocks, the JPO has always required two separate clock technologies,
from two different manufacturers, on each satellite, for redundancy and
protection from latent design flaws.  The only reason that this policy was
violated on IIR was because the low-bid contractor for the cesium clocks
failed to deliver.  For IIF,  they have returned to the previous cesium
vendor and the usual mix of two each of Rb and Cs.

With that said, the Perkin-Elmer rubidium on the IIR satellites is an
outstanding clock, unquestionably the best rubidium ever manufactured for
any application, with short-term stability an order-of-magnitude better than
the IIF cesiums.  The drift is also remarkably low for a rubidium
oscillator, compared to commercial rubidium, and, with daily updates, they
will outperform the cesiums, though the cesiums will beat them outside of a
week or so.

The IIF satellites, which are expected to begin launching in 2008, will
carry two Perkin-Elmer rubidiums and two Symmetricom 4410 cesiums.  In
addition to providing the drift-free long-term stability which typifies
cesium, the 4410 has other system-level advantages.  It'll be the first
microprocessor-controlled clock of any sort to be deployed on GPS, with all
of the self-diagnostics and telemetry that we've come to expect from modern
cesium clocks (a la 5071A or CsIII).  With increasing reliance on GPS for
civilian safety-of-life applications, the enhanced telemetry and integrity
monitoring of the 4410 will lead to a more robust system and more rapid
identification of problems and clock changeover, when necessary.

Again, I don't want to be accused of "propaganda," but all of the clocks on
GPS, both cesium and rubidium, from a number of manufacturers, have been
extraordinarily reliable.  I believe that every GPS satellite has outlived
its design lifetime and many have been eventually decommissioned for reasons
unrelated to clock failure.

...and speaking of propaganda, what on earth is the agenda of that Space
Review article?

-RL

Robert Lutwak, Senior Scientist
Symmetricom - Technology Realization Center
34 Tozer Rd.
Beverly, MA 01915
(978) 232-1461   Voice           RLutwak at Symmetricom.com   (Business)
(978) 927-4099   FAX             Lutwak at Alum.MIT.edu  (Personal)
(339) 927-7896   Mobile