[time-nuts] Loran - any good for timekeeping?

Brooke Clarke brooke at pacific.net
Fri Apr 21 18:04:15 UTC 2006

Hi Poul:

What is a "Frame rate cyclic averaging buffer"?  Is this where  you use
a GRI generator to trigger sampling the incoming signal?

I've found that the quality of LORAN-C for timing depends on how close
you are to the transmitter.  When in the 100 mile range the quality is
equal to better than GPS, but when it's many hundreds of miles there's a
lot of variation.

I'm attaching a gif of the spectrum here from 0 to 200 kHz that goes
with the web page:
http://www.pacificsites.com/~brooke/Spec_0002.shtml

Have Fun,

Brooke Clarke, N6GCE