[time-nuts] Loran - any good for timekeeping?

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Fri Apr 21 19:57:57 UTC 2006

In message <444937B6.6020405 at pacific.net>, Brooke Clarke writes:

>The neat thing about the Locus LORAN-C receivers is that they are "all
>in view" instead of being tied to a single GRI.
> http://www.locusinc.com/loran.html

Yeah, I do that in my own Loran-C software receiver too.

>I also find that using the Austron 2084 Filter Multicoupler between the
>antenna and 2100T helps since I can tune a number of the filters on the
>same interfering signals.  It also has a sferics blanker.
>http://www.pacificsites.com/~brooke/A2100F.shtml#2084

I do all that in software on a cheap ITX card.

>If what you're doing is less than this then maybe you don't have as
>robust a front end.

My front end is just a loop-antenna and an amplifier before the
A/D converter.  Everything else is in software.

And btw my computer can also decode and carrier-track DCF77, HBG,
MSF and a couple of local long-wave stations at the same time :-)