[time-nuts] Oncore GPS models

Randy Warner RWarner at synergy-gps.com
Tue Apr 25 17:40:10 UTC 2006

Glenn,

Welcome to the list.

The receivers are all various versions of the Motorola UT+ Oncore timing
receiver.

The receivers with a P/N that ends with a "2" have v2.2 firmware

The receivers with a P/N that ends with a "3" have v3.0 firmware as have
some operational problems. Probably not noticeable for most users. The
@@Gj Leap Second message was added with this revision.

The receivers with a P/N that ends with a "4" have v3.1 firmware. This
version fixed the problems in v3.0, but introduced a new one where the
100PPS signal would "slip" as the receiver changed the 1ms bins it uses
to keep synchronized with the satellites. Bad dog.

Although not listed, R5122U1115 has v3.2 firmware which works well.

The receiver P/N's that have a "5" as the next to last number have
STRAIGHT MCX antenna connectors instead of the normal right-angle MCX's.

Basically, the only "good" firmware listed is v2.2 in the R5122U1112
units. You really only want v2.2 or v3.2 firmware in a UT+ receiver. The
other ones should really be reflashed to v3.2 before use. You DEFINITELY
don't want v3.1 if you are using the 100PPS output.

I have attached release notes for the various revisions of the UT+
firmware.

Best Regards,

Randy Warner
Senior Applications Engineer