[time-nuts] TI to Freq. conversion

Glenn glenn at net127.com
Wed Aug 2 18:59:04 UTC 2006

Is computing the frequency of an oscillator using TI more or less
accurate than the measuring the frequency directly? I think,
theorically, they should have the same accuarcy, but I doubt that's
actually the case.

I would be measuring the TI from UT+ 1 PPS to LPRO->TVB-DIV 1 PPS on a
5334A, instead of measuring the 10 MHz out of the LPRO, using 1 PPS of
the GPS as start and stop. I will probably be using a gate time of 30
seconds to give a TI resolution of 0.1 femto seconds. (Thanks, Brooke,
for that note awhile back!) I will be using the 10 MHz from the LPRO as
the ext. ref for the 5334A, so there should be a consistant time between
measurements.

thanks,
glenn