[time-nuts] A Simple PIC Divider

Chuck Harris cfharris at erols.com
Mon Aug 7 02:10:05 UTC 2006

Hal Murray wrote:
>> Right, this is essentially what my (and any other) PIC divider does.
>> Simple, isn't it?
>
>> And those 8-pin PICs are too cute to pass up.
>
> Yup.  I saw the light when I was trying to work out a 1/2 second delay with
> something like a 555.  I couldn't quite get what I wanted.  Simple in
> software.  Saves board space too.

They can be fun for making an adjustable 555 replacement too.  Take one of the
ADC's and connect it to a voltage divider, and play away!

> DigiKey sells the PICKit 2 for $35.  I haven't used it.  It's USB powered.
> Looks like it may have a small board for programming so you can program chips
> if you include a socket on your board.  Another approach is to include a
> programming header on your board.
>
> The older version (PICKIt 1?) had an 8/14 pin socket and could program a few
> of the low cost chips. They were the PIC16F630/676 and PCI12F629/675.  The
> 630/676 have 14 pins.  The 629/675 have 8 pins.  One of each pair had a 10
> bit A/D.
>
> I don't think any of those chips has a serial port.  You would have to do
> (heroic) bit-banging if you needed that.

If you get the CCS C compiler, it has a library function that will allow you
to program a serial port onto any pin.  Works nicely.  It's a great compiler,
by the way.  Costs a bit over $100 these days.  It is available for both
'doze, and linux.

-Chuck Harris