[time-nuts] Frequency Dividers

Randy Warner Randy at synergy-gps.com
Tue Aug 8 19:23:45 UTC 2006

Guys,

First off, what I am about to do is ask a REALLY STUPID question, but
more and more of the GPS stuff I do is drifting towards the precision
timing end of things, so I thought I should ask.

I have been seeing a lot of traffic concerning making 10MHz frequency
dividers using PIC's. While they provide an elegant solution to
providing an accurate 1PPS from a precision source, I have to ask if
there is a reason for going this route? I am just using three HCT40103
down counters hooked to a DS4000 to get what I think is a very stable
1PPS. Am I missing something? I realize 40103's are as old as dirt (I
guess I am showing my 4000 series CMOS days), but the HCT series have
plenty of bandwidth.

Please be gentle....

Randy