[time-nuts] HP model numbering convention (was Shopping list)

Bob Voelker pickypicky101 at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 22 07:41:46 UTC 2006

Hi Tom,

I never worked for HP, but I do have a lot of their
equipment and have also been wondering about their
model numbering convention.  It goes beyond
H, J, and K!

My speculation is as follows:

  C = custom--has a feature that is custom to a
      certain specialized application
  E = equipment--a collection of several HP units
      in one cabinet
  H = high performance--e.g., extended frequency
      coverage
  J = joint--to be used jointly with another HP
      product
  K = kit--an accessory kit to be used with
      another HP product
  M = military--has military ruggedness and EMI
      specs, etc.
  P = ? special option for a printer

Examples:

C01-312A Selective voltmeter
E21-5065A  5065A Rubidium standard +
           K02-5060A battery power supply
H10-8731B PIN modulator
J36-5245L an 5245L frequency counter variant
          that works with the HP 5050A printer
K034-59991A broadband linear phase comparator
M07-5245L  military version of HP 5245A
           frequency counter
P64-562A  digital printer

Thanks to the HP 1969 and 1989 catalogs for
these model numbers.  The 1969 catalog is
really packed with all sorts of unusual
numbers.

Any further clarification would be
appreciated.  Are there any other prefixes
out there?

Thanks,

Bob Voelker

> Tom Van Baak  wrote
> Mon Aug 21 23:48:28 EDT 2006

> On the HP J06-59992A Time Interval Calibrator, have
> either of you opened it and taken a look inside?
It's
> quite simple.

> The digital half is a generic GPIB board. The RF
half
> is just a couple of MCL splitters and TO5 RF relays.
> I'll look for my manual if no one else has one
handy.