[time-nuts] HP 5071 CLock Operation?

Tom Van Baak tvb at leapsecond.com
Fri Aug 25 16:57:12 UTC 2006

> Hi Tom:
>
> I'm making progress on my precision clock and am wondering how the clock
> in the HP 5071 is set and in particular how leap seconds are handled?
> Also is there some way to move the edge of the output 1 PPS?  How close
> is the Sync function?
>
> http://www.pacificsites.com/~brooke/PRC68COM.shtml#PC3
>
> Have Fun,
>
> Brooke Clarke

Brooke,

For leap seconds, there is both a front panel menu
and a SCPI command to program which future MJD
is to have a 59, 60, or 61 second minute. A couple
of FEI and FTS cesium standards also provide a
method to schedule leap seconds if the clock is to
be used as a UTC time source.

For 1PPS sync, there are three methods. First, there
is an external sync that works like most other clocks.
The granularity is +/- 50 ns.

Then there is a software slew command which moves
the 1 PPS anywhere in +/- 50 increments.

Finally, there is a frequency steer command which
has a range of +/- 1e-9 and a resolution under 1e-14.

So one can externally or manually sync a 5071A to
50 ns and then frequency steer at 1e-9 (that's 1 ns
per second) until you get as close as you want.

/tvb