[time-nuts] Time syncing question

Joseph Gray jgray at zianet.com
Sun Aug 27 14:34:09 UTC 2006

I have a piece of equipment that has its time set either via a serial port
or via HTTP. After initial setting, the device keeps its own time (although
badly). The device has no NTP capability itself. Although I'm describing a
particular piece of equipment, I have seen many other devices that work the
same way.

I want to write a program that runs on a standard PC and communicates the
time to the device in question. The communication between the PC and the
target device won't be a problem. The PC would be syncing it's time via NTP.
The target device wouldn't need it's clock synced better than 100-200 mS or
so.

I'd like to know how to handle syncing the target device's time. I know that
I want to avoid major time jumps and that once the target device is synced,
I need to keep things in sync. I know that NTPD knows how to do these
things, but I don't want to delve into the source code of that quite yet. At
this point, I'm looking for more of a high-level pseudo-code description of
how this is handled. Any pointers to documentation of this type would be
appreciated.