[time-nuts] Progress of my HP Z3801A

Magnus Danielson cfmd at bredband.net
Mon Aug 28 21:30:07 UTC 2006

Fellow Time-nuts,

I've left my HP Z3801A unattended but running for quite some time. It now seems
to have started making more sense. When I checked it a few days ago, it was
still a bit high in Predicted holdover uncertainty, but right now it clocks in
at 900 ns/initial 24 hrs. That's about 1E-11 in frequency error. Pretty
impressive. Now, this is only one sample, so I expect it to be worse for
awhile (while it dropped to 800 ns). Ah well. Let's see if it sticks. If so,
I may have a good unit after all, or maybe it is just a better environment for
it now, who knows.

I am wondering whatever fun I could make of the builtin forth-interprenter, but
right now I am considering writing myself a logging application (this is not
the time to again give me tons of links to Windows-apps - no use!).

For the clock-status I'm considering logging the TI-difference and holdover
uncertainty.

For GPS status I'm considering logging the tracked signal-strengths at their
different Azimuth and Elevation values. The actual satelite tracks themselfs
isn't as interesting as their position in the sky relative to my antenna and
what the signal strength map I get from that.

Cheers,
Magnus