[time-nuts] Time syncing question

Glenn glenn at net127.com
Wed Aug 30 13:14:33 UTC 2006

Telco's know exactly what time it is. Although, frequency is much
more important than time.  Central Offices use either Rb or Cs for a
Time & Freq. standard. They need to keep all the trunk signals in
perfect sync to keep from loosing bits.

Cell sites generally use GPSDO's. Either OXCO or Rb. Most of the Rb
sources on ebay are from cell site upgrades. Ditto for the Motorola
Oncores.

_Most_ cell phones set their time to "network time." Usually within
one second. Although I have seen cell phones set themselves and be
off by nearly a minute.

If leap seconds are a problem, use TAI, not UTC.

As for who pays, I've found that (in general), if something isn't
going to increase profit, or decrease expenses, it's probably not
going to get funded by a business. Hence, many of us just do this for
the fun of it.

As for the blind leading the blind, AFAIK many people on this list
make their living designing/building/selling precise timing products.
Others have experience using precise timing equipment.

cheers,
glenn