[time-nuts] Time syncing question

Hal Murray hmurray at suespammers.org
Wed Aug 30 17:25:51 UTC 2006

[telcos]
> They need to keep all the trunk signals in   perfect sync to keep from
> loosing bits.

That's not quite right.

You won't drop bits if the trunk is (slightly) faster than the source.  I
think the protocols for encapsulating T1s in T3s and such have a slot for
that so telco-X can transport bits for telco-Y.  Two telcos will, of course,
have independent clock empires.  (I haven't looked at the specs in many
years.)

That turns the problem into one of getting the receiver in sync with the
transmitter.

How do cell phones derive their 8KHz clock?  Is that problem burried in the
compression?