[time-nuts] Progress of my HP Z3801A -- Ooops!

xaos xaos at arachne.darksmile.net
Wed Aug 30 22:11:35 UTC 2006

First,

>Ah, much better. After batteling the perl package hell (i.e. finding the
>exact right Debian package that will make it tick) I now have it
>running, but
>now I need to figure out how to make it tick on automatic. I also
>commented out
>the "cd /opt/ntp/timelord/shm || exit" line from the G1 script. How that
>one
>should be set was non-obvious.

This is the kind of omission that is hard to spot. Actually that
directory is my source code gen home. I have added a separate comment
there to clarify this.

Now, to the more problematic issue of time delay between
:SYST:STAT? invocation and receiver response.

I just wish that the information in the :SYSTEM:STATUS?
command was available separately.

That said, it usually takes 4-5 seconds for the receiver
to respond to this command. As a result, the interactive
interface is sluggish and the "auto" mode lags behind.

What to do?

1.	Send the :SYSTEM:STATUS? command and report it as-is.
	Problems:
		Time lag is very obvious but we at least get
		what the receiver's state is.

2.	Send the :SYST:TIME? and at least get the time.
	Problems:
		Ok, we got the info but now we need to send the
		:SYSTEM:STATUS? anyway. Then for display purposes
		we interpolate the receiver time forward.
		Not a bad solution but still...

3. Option of how the user might want this handled.

I am open to suggestions here.

-GH