[time-nuts] IRIG-B Reader/Offset Generator??

bg at lysator.liu.se bg at lysator.liu.se
Thu Aug 31 20:20:15 UTC 2006

On Thu, August 31, 2006 16:10, Rob Kimberley said:
> I wonder if anyone can help me out here.
>
> Looking for an IRIG-B Reader/Generator that can read IRIG-B and Generate
> IRIG-B + 1 day. i.e. output is always exactly 1 day ahead of input.  Must
> be
> able to start at an input of 000:00:00:00 (DDD:HH:MM:SS).
>
> Have scouted round most of the usual suppliers, but no luck so far.

Two semi wild ideas...

There is a audio (sound card) IRIG-B refclock driver for NTP. Dr Mill has
also written a sound card IRIG-B generator. Sync a computer with the audio
driver or a conventional irig-B reader. Hack the software generator to
output the code 1 day ahead.

Take one IRIG-B reader to decode the incoming stream. Let the 1PPS output
from that first card be a 1PPS input to a GPS steered IRIG-B generator. Do
not connect the GPS recevier/antenna (Acutime or equivalent) to the card.
Instead figure out which messages the timing card listens to emulate those
messages with a day added. Feed the simulated messages to the GPS input
from a computer serial port.

A less fun one...

>From the bc635cpp application help.

"The function allows the user to add an offset to the IRIG B signal being
produced by the bc635/637PCI device.  This functionality is useful for
driving IRIG B display units so local time appears on them.  Allowed
values are –12 through +12."

Two daisy chained bancomm/datum/symmetricom cards each adding 12hours to
the timecode, should seem to fit your demands. Did I miss something?

Good luck!

   Björn

PS btw... Have drivers for the GPS20 cards. Just need some time to update
them for the rather late linux kernel version I run.  DS