[time-nuts] HP 5334 oscillator performance

Rick Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Thu Dec 7 21:15:12 UTC 2006

I was the project manager of the 5334B, which was a reduced
factory cost replacement for the 5334A.  Of course I thoroughly
evaluated the 5334A before deciding what changes to make.  I will
apologize on behalf of the company for that oscillator
in the 34A.  It is a really poor design.  Giving the 5334A project
team the benefit of the doubt, I guess the philosophy was that
the built in oscillator is for very non-critical applications and
they didn't want to increase the cost to those users but putting
a decent oscillator in the standard counter.  Many users were like
us and had a house frequency standard, so we never used a built in
oscillator in a counter.  Due to time and cost pressures, we unfortunately
inherited the same oscillator in the 5334B.

So in both products, please plan on getting a 10811 or using an
external frequency reference.

Rick Karlquist N6RK
Project manager, 5334B, circa 1986