[time-nuts] Time Nuts at PTTI this past week

Tom Van Baak tvb at leapsecond.com
Sat Dec 9 20:21:08 UTC 2006

> Remember that while you are 1340 meters up, the mountains gravity pull
creates
> a local compensation to a small degree, so you will not fully experience
the
> full altitude difference.

Magnus,

Yes, I considered this but found the compensation
was several orders of magnitude below the numbers
I was working with so I got to ignore it. I mean, you
think mountains sound big until you compare them
to a whole planet.

Don't get hung up on subtle variations in g itself.
There are many factors that go into g for any place
(and time) on earth.

The main effect is that I moved from R+300 meters
at home to R+1640 meters on the mountain, where
R is the radius of the planet. The GR redshift (or a
blue shift in this case) is 1.1e-16/m in the vicinity
of R. The 1340 m delta times 1.1e-16/m gives a
nominal redshift of 1.5e-13.

For a experiment such as this the relativistic effects
are velocity and altitude. Traveling under 65 mph for
two hours there, and back, cost me only about -50 ps.
Staying 1340 m above home for 40 hours gave me
+22 ns, so the GR effect totally dominates over the
SR effect.

> full altitude difference. It would have been a different exercise if you
took
> a hotair balloon more or less straight up from your home. It might however
be
> a challenge to stay up there for long enought to be comparable.

Yes, and instead of dropping sand to keep aloft
over time I could drop the lead acid batteries as I
use them up!

/tvb