[time-nuts] How much should I expect to spend for making a gpsbased standard?

Jason Rabel jason at extremeoverclocking.com
Wed Dec 13 21:18:29 UTC 2006

The Brooks Shera is a good DIY project too.

The bare board costs $21.45 shipped.
I got a programmed PIC chip and DAC from Brooks for $43 shipped.
The rest of the board components (minus the display and project box) I spent
maybe $20?

Now for the oscillator, that you can spend whatever your heart desires. A
good 5MHz or 10MHz OCXO would probably best to start out with, then you can
always change it out with a Rb later.

So in the end, about $100-$120 (depending on oscillator) + time to
assemble....

Oh, if you can program PIC chips, then Digikey has the right one for like
$10, and the source is published on Brooks' website. The DAC I could not
find anywhere, so you pretty much have to get that from the author.

Jason