[time-nuts] Reasons for still building the Shera GPSDO

Mark Amos mark.amos at toast.net
Sat Dec 16 00:31:11 UTC 2006

Ulrich,

Thank you for sharing your insights and knowledge with the group.

I can't speak for the people that have and are building the Shera GPSDO.

But here is an abbreviated list of my reasons:

- It's relatively inexpensive

- It uses readily available technology

- The software runs on an easy-to-use and widely available PIC processor

- It is within my intellectual capacity and construction skills

- I thought it would be a good place to start learning about the technology

- Many people are willing to help with problems and provide great advice and suggestions

- It shouldn't be too difficult to replace the Shera board with something else, if I find a better design
that I can handle.

- It seems to work pretty well (I understand that lots of them are in service in amateur shops around the
world.)

- Mine meets my need for a stable, accurate master oscillator for my shop.

I spent quite a bit of time researching GPSDO designs for the amateur electronic experimenter before building
it. If I had found equivalent design and construction documentation and depth of expertise in some other
design, I would have happily built that. Frankly, as it sounds like there are much better ways to do it, I'm
surprised one of them hasn't caught on and sparked the same sustained interest as the Shera project - at
enough to have made it to my short list of potential project designs.

So, although I can't speak for the rest of the people, I suspect many of them may be people like me that are
learning about GPSDOs and having some fun along the way.

Cheers,

Mark - W8XR

Message: 10