[time-nuts] Typical EFC frequency response (bandwidth) of a OCXO

Stephan Sandenbergh stephan at rrsg.ee.uct.ac.za
Sat Dec 16 15:52:31 UTC 2006

Hi,

Many thanks to all the time-nuts that has answered my questions, which I
posted during the past year so, with such eloquence.

My question I have today is regarding the modulation bandwidth of the
typical OCXO. Previously, I was concerned with locking a 1PPS GPS output to
a 10MHz OCXO. This 10MHz OCXO is updated on time scales of seconds. Thus,
the modulation bandwidth of this OCXO isn't much of a concern. However, I
want to lock that 10MHz GPSDO to a further 100MHz OCXO. From the phase noise
charts, it is my guess that the loop bandwidth will be in the order of 1kHz.
Thus, if I can't modulate the 100MHz OCXO at this rate, I will have to think
of another plan.

The modulation bandwidth isn't given in the typical OCXO datasheet. Is there
a reason for this? Has anyone got experience with this? Or does number vary
wildly from OCXO to OCXO.

Regards,

Stephan Sandenbergh.