[time-nuts] insulation/packing material for OXO?

Christopher Hoover ch at murgatroid.com
Sat Dec 16 22:45:38 UTC 2006

Folks -

I've got several OXO's suffering from disintegrating insulation between the
can and core.   The insulation in these OXO's is the greenish grayish foamy
stuff.  It turns to dust over time.

The two units I opened most recently also had mechanical damage (broken
crystal, broken solder connection).  I hypothesize this is a result of the
disintegrating foam allowing the core to bang around inside the can.   The
OAC 10MHz OXO from my 3856C actually rattled.

I've since fixed the broken solder connection and gotten the oven and
oscillator to work.  Now I need to repack the core into its can.

What kind of material is this greenish-grayish foam?   Is it easy to get?
Easy to work with?

If not, is there another material that works well and is easy to source?
It seems like HP used a Styrofoam of sorts on the 10811.

-ch