[time-nuts] iLotus M12M Timing receiver

Magnus Danielson cfmd at bredband.net
Mon Dec 18 17:07:19 UTC 2006

From: "Randy Warner" <Randy at synergy-gps.com>
Subject: Re: [time-nuts] iLotus M12M Timing receiver
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 08:53:48 -0800

> Magnus,

Randy,

> The oscillator should not be moving too much as the M12M has a TCXO
> instead of the crystals used on the earlier models. The TCXO is actually
> much more stable under temperature changes, but it will react a little
> to a step change such as putting your finger on it. It should drift off
> a little and then come right back. We all wish that Motorola had seen
> fit to enclose the RF components and TCXO under a shield can like most
> everyone else does..... That's why we sell a lot of our industrial
> customers shield cans. Another trick is to put a little chunk of foam
> backed tape over either the crystal or TCXO.

It moved several 10s of Hz according to the readout by my "healing palm"
action. Maybe I just didn't hold it long enought to fall back.

> The temp sensor on the M12M is non-functional as there is no sensor in
> the new RF front end. Temp should always read 00.0.

Well, I assumed that there was no sensor located there, but I thought that
maybe there still is a place to mount it so I just have to solder one in.
In that case I would like to get the coordinates so I could log it.

In the end I will make sure it sits in a more stable environment than on the
top of my desk.

BTW. Do you know if the time offset between the old M12+ and the new M12M as
reported has been compensated out or not? I don't have the golden M12+
reference unit in my hands, so...

Cheers,
Magnus