[time-nuts] A Bunch Of Lucent RFTG-m-RB units on eBay This Morning!

David I. Emery die at dieconsulting.com
Thu Dec 21 04:14:59 UTC 2006

On Wed, Dec 20, 2006 at 10:58:02AM -0600, Jason Rabel wrote:
> Just a heads up, if you search eBay for 'Lucent RFTG' you will see someone
> has listed a bunch of the rubidium units today with BIN of $130. These are
> not the previously listed RFG's. The RFTG have the built-in GPS receiver (I
> think it's a Motorola UT+ or VP), the RFG's do not have the GPS. There's a
> pinout somewhere in the archives here, it uses +24V I think through some of
> the pins on the DB9 ports.

	I think you just steered me down a blind alley...

	I grabbed the last two of these at the newer higher price of
$185 BIN but more careful searching shows photos of a box without any
evident GPS antenna input.

	I think the part with the GPS is the RFTG-M-XO which contains a
disciplined OXCO with optional rubidium input from the RFTG-M-RB box.

	I suppose there must be a EFC voltage input or, much more
useful, a 1 PPS input that syncs the Rb.   But they appear to be a pair.

	I suppose that isn't too bad a price for a Rb oscillator if they
have reasonably low hours and are the long lived telco kind...

	And a Rb oscillator with a PLL that expects a 1 PPS might be quite
useful at that price.

--
   Dave Emery N1PRE,  die at dieconsulting.com  DIE Consulting, Weston, Mass 02493
'For Rent' sign still vainly flapping outside on the weed encrusted pole - in