[time-nuts] GPS orthodontics: sawteeth & hanging bridges - the effect of time averaging

Brooks Shera ebs at wildblue.net
Thu Dec 21 17:49:37 UTC 2006

Recently there has been some mention of the influence of 1pps sawtooth and
hanging bridges jitter on the performance of a GPSDO.

It would seem to me that the jitter must average to zero in the long run,
for if it did not the 1pps signal would drift away from its relation to UTC.

But the question remains "what time averaging is needed to reduce the
sawtooth/bridge jitter from a typical +/-15 nsec to something negligible,
perhaps +/-1 nsec?"

To explore this I used TAC32 to record the 1 pps sawtooth correction message
from a Motorola M12+ receiver for about 1 hour, during which time many
bridges occurred (1).  Excel's statistical toolbox was then used to examine
the data.

Excel computed that the unaveraged correction data had a standard deviation
of 8.4 nsec, which is consistent with the actual measured 9.5 nsec rms
jitter reported by Rich Hambly (Dec 06, PTTI paper by Clark and Hambly, p.
15).

Averaging the sawtooth/bridge correction data for several averaging times
produced the following results (2):

Avg Time    Standard Deviation     Residual Jitter
none           8.4 nsec                     +/- 15 nsec
30 sec        1.53                            +/- 4.3
100 sec      0.79                            +/- 2.2
300 sec      0.33                            +/- 0.7

It is evident that jitter is greatly reduced with a bit of time-averaging.
In addition, the hanging bridges quickly disappeared into the residual
jitter of the smoothed data.

It appears to me that a typical GPSDO, which has an integration time in the
range of 100's to many 1000's of sec is not likely to be impaired by the
sawtooth/bridge noise of a GPS rcvr.  A GPS-based clock is a different story
since a precise 1pps timing signal without time averaging would be
desirable.

In summary, it appears that 1pps sawtooth/bridge noise can be ignored for a
GPSDO.  In some designs it may even be helpful by introducing further
deterministic randomness to the phase measurement process.

Regards,  Brooks

(1) the M12+ correction-message resolution is 1 nsec and this seems adequate
for a jitter statistics investigation.  But as a check, I compared the
correction message data with the actual 1 pps jitter measured with a 5370B
TIC, a PRS10 and a M12+ .  This approach has higher resolution but does not
change the conclusions.

(2)  I choose 30 sec as the shortest averaging time because 30 sec is the
summation time of the phase-measuring circuit of my GPSDO design and hence
the shortest integration time available.  Of course, the PLL filter
configuration switches can extend the integration to many hours if desired.