[time-nuts] GPS orthodontics: sawteeth & hanging bridges

Randy Warner Randy at synergy-gps.com
Thu Dec 21 22:35:32 UTC 2006

Bruce,

Absolutely. It could certainly have been fixed, but it was just never
enough of a concern for "normal" applications.

This design methodolgy also caused insurmountable problems when Motorola
tried to introduce a chipset based upon the Oncore firmware that could
be customized by the customer to run other applications. Having to slap
the screaming child and service the 1KHz interrupts made it very
difficult to write any sort of real time applications for the chipset.
Too bad nobody thought of that before they started making and selling
SDK's. I have one here I use as a paperweight.

Randy

____

Randy

If only one had access to the receiver firmware: the cure for "hanging
bridges" etc is surely to add sufficient (rms noise ~ PPS positioning
quantisation error) bandlimited gaussian noise to calculated PPS
position before quantisation of the PPS position occurs in the hardware.

Bruce