[time-nuts] GPS orthodontics: sawteeth & hanging bridges- theeffect of time averaging

Tom Van Baak tvb at leapsecond.com
Sat Dec 23 01:35:05 UTC 2006

> Suppose that I'm now using the SR620 to make averages of 5,000 seconds
> and plotting those where the inputs are from an M12+T and a FTS4060
> Cesium standard.  At 5,000 seconds Ulrich's plot shows about 4E-12.
> Does that mean with a perfect standard I would expect to see noise of
> about 4E-12?
>
> So I should set the averaging to about 1E6 seconds (11 days)? to get the
> best possible result?

You should continue to use 5000 second averagesare fine. When you use
various ADEV programs they will be able to plot at
5000 s and any multiples of 5000 s, including 1e6.

> Have Fun,
>
> Brooke Clarke

OK so the plot at will level off at about 5E-14.

w/Java http://www.PRC68.com
w/o Java http://www.pacificsites.com/~brooke/PRC68COM.shtml
http://www.precisionclock.com