[time-nuts] TIC resolution impact on GPSDO's performance

Dr Bruce Griffiths bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz
Wed Dec 27 03:32:18 UTC 2006

Magnus

Amended to substitute plesiochronous and plesiochronism for the
incorrect words I used previously.

As the frequency of the clock which controls the timing of the receiver
PPS pulse output drifts and approaches plesiochronism with the
"true" frequency of the PPS signal, the rate of change of the PPS timing
error due to quantisation decreases reaching zero should the clock
achieve synchronism with the "true" PPS frequency.
Thus hanging bridges occur when the clock frequency approaches
plesiochronism with the "true" PPS signal frequency and then drifts
away from plesiochronism with the PPS signal..

When the frequency of the clock controlling the timing of the receiver
PPS pulse output is synchronous with the PPS frequency, then neither
sawtooth corrections or hanging bridges occur, however there may be a
fixed offset of up to 1/2 a clock cycle between the "correct" and the
actual leading edge of the receiver PPS output pulse.

Please correct and simplify these statements as required.

The only problem that I can see is we still need to define how close to
synchronism the timing clock frequency and the "true" PPS signal
frequency system must be to be considered plesiochronous.

Bruce