[time-nuts] FMT

James Maynard james.h.maynard at usa.net
Fri Dec 29 19:14:03 UTC 2006

Yes. I regret now that I rounded off the WA6ZTY frequency to the nearest
0.1 Hz.  I might have been exactly in agreement if only I had rounded to
the nearest 10 millihertz.

I used a Ten-Ted RX340 receiver, which has the advantage that it accepts
an external 10 MHz frequency reference at its rear panel and phase-locks
all its oscillators to the 10 MHz reference. That made the measurement
comparatively easy. I would set the receiver for CW reception with its
BFO offset 800 Hz from the center of the passband, and feed the output
to SpectrumLab, running on my laptop with an external USB sound card. I
calibrated the sound card against WWV audio before the test.

I captured the Spectrum lab measurements to a text file, which I
imported into Microsoft Excel to compute the mean and standard deviation
of the peak frequency within a passband centered on 800 Hz. This worked
well for the W1AW measurements: once having tuned the receiver, I left
its dial alone for the duration of the test. As I recall, the one-sigma
jitter on the received W1AW frequency was 1 or 2 Hz -- so I certainly
did NOT consider my measurement more accurate than about 0.1 Hz.

Unfortunately, when it came to the WA6ZTY part of the test, I
kepttweaking the receiver frequency by a Hz or so (it tunes in one-hertz
steps) and that made the spreadsheet file captured from SpectrumLab less
useful.  I didn't fell confident that I had made a good estimate of the
standard deviation of the measured frequency. because of my mistake of
tweaking the receiver frequency. So I rounded that measurement, too, to
the nearest 100 millihertz.

If I had only NOT disturbed the receiver tuning during the WA6ZTY
frequency measurement, I could have made a better estimate of the
one-sigma frequency jitter. Then I would have had a better estimate of
the accuracy of the measurement, and might have rounded it to the
nearest 10 millihertz rather than to the nearest 100 millihertz.

--
James Maynard
Salem, Oregon, USA