[time-nuts] Soekris NTP server

Brendan Minish ei6iz.brendan at gmail.com
Sat Dec 30 21:21:26 UTC 2006

Hi Poul
thanks for your help on this

On Sat, 2006-12-30 at 20:50 +0000, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> In message <1167511495.8618.8.camel at localhost.localdomain>, Brendan Minish writ
> es:
> >Ok I got quite a long way with this project but I've still run into some
> >issues
> >
> >1/ NTPD does not seem to be aware of PPS or GPS devices. do I need to
> >patch it and recompile if so how? Can the nanobsd script handle
> >integrating the patch for me
>
> Have you written a suitable /etc/ntp.conf file ?

yes, I think so, I lifted it off my linux server that has been doing
this for a while now.
I have got it coming up on boot and happily syncing away with the
pool.ntp.org servers. Just no sign of the PPS or NMEA 'servers'

But basically you are saying that the bits I need to do this with ntpd
are already there, no need for any patching and all I need to do is
configure the service correctly?

> >2/ the console comes up on the serial port which we indeed want for now
> >since I have not yet successfully configured sshd and IP addresses to
> >come up correctly on boot (working on this!) but how do I stop the
> >console from using the com port once we are happy since i need to free
> >up the com port for the NMEA input
>
> edit /etc/ttys

that, if I understand correctly is a no going back edit since I will on
any following reboots have no serial terminal at all.
is there a way (for now) to just kill off the the serial TTY once we are
up and running

> >3/ vi won't work
> >vi: No terminal database found
>
> That's a result of nanobsd stripping the image size I think.

Hmm, I tried copying a termcap in there but it's getting overwritten
with a symlink on boot
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root  wheel  23 Dec 30 11:29 /etc/termcap -> /usr/share/misc/termcap

Am I going to need to rebuild to fix that?

.brendan