[time-nuts] New pics of RFTG-m-Rb, and some comparison details

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Sun Dec 31 08:44:13 UTC 2006

> If you mean multiply the 15MHz output by 2/3 to generate 10MHz, simply
>  use asynchronous divide by 3 counter (2 fliplops) to produce a 5MHz 1/
> 3  duty cycle (or 2/3) output then filter out the 10MHz 2nd harmonic
> component with a bandpass filter. The 3rd Harmonic (15MHz) will
> conveniently be very close to a null (only departure from exact 1/3
> duty  cycle and clock feedthrough from the divider prevent a perfect
> null).

There is another approach that works to multiply by 2: Use the other edge of
the clock.

I think I saw this in an app-note from Xilinx.  The idea is to use an XOR
gate and delay to make a pulse on each clock edge.  If you include a FF as
part of that delay then you have a reasonable guarantee that the clock pulse
will be wide enough to clock a (similar) FF.

This only works for slow clocks, but 30 MHz is quite slow for modern logic,
at least once you get inside the chip.