[time-nuts] Can somebody give me a lesson in OCXOs?

Tim Shoppa shoppa at trailing-edge.com
Sun Feb 26 02:37:55 UTC 2006

Hal Murray <hmurray at suespammers.org> wrote:
> I'm primarily interested in temperature stability.  I want to make my PC keep
> good time rather than wander around when the box warms up because I started
> reading my mail.

Are you sure that it's "because the box warmed up" and not because you
are losing interrupts? If you're seeing shifts in the greater than one or two
PPM region you ought to see this with a just plain old cheap frequency
counter and a tiny cap to steal oscillator frequency from the motherboard.
If you don't see it with the freq counter then it's probably interrupts.

> I've been thinking of something for a PCI card.

Man, you guys make this way too hard. I mean, hacking together
microcontroller stuff is easy on perfboard or dead-bug-style. PCI
cards and FPGA's is just way too much work for something that should
be easy :-).

Tim.