[time-nuts] Help w/integration problem

John Miles jmiles at pop.net
Mon Jan 2 09:44:33 UTC 2006

Thanks; yes, I've got the sqrt() part already, from both my original source
who requested the feature, and the Zarlink app note.

Naturally, the two sources don't agree.  Equation 13 (and others) in the
Maxim app note at http://pdfserv.maxim-ic.com/en/an/AN3359.pdf says, in
effect:

	RMS = sqrt(sum * 2)

On page 7 of the Zarlink app note, the x2 factor is left outside the radical
sign:

	RMS = sqrt(sum) * 2

Unlike the question of whether to interpolate the column midpoints in dBc
space or linear spectral-density space, the position of that x2 term makes a
big difference in the final result.  Any insights into who's got THAT one
right?

-- john, KE5FX