[time-nuts] Help - Hope?

Dr. David Kirkby david.kirkby at onetel.net
Tue Jan 3 10:26:11 UTC 2006

Mike Feher wrote:
> I just bought myself a couple of Hakko model 850 hot air surface mount
> soldering stations and various nozzles.

But that is at quite a considerable cost. Fine if you are a professional
or dedicated hobbiest, but not if you are a child.

It's hard to see how a significant number of 7-11 year olds will have
the money to buy that sort of kit and the other bits you need to so SM
technology.

> It really does make it easy.

Try taking some 7-11 year olds and getting them to build something at
the component level using SM technology. The space between pins is
almost certainly going to decrease, which will make it more difficult in
10 years time than it is now.

No doubt, in 10 years I'll look back and wish I'd not posted this
message, as electronics would have changed in a way I can't foresee.
Change it will no doubt do.