[time-nuts] List of time synchronization hardware and software

David Forbes dforbes at dakotacom.net
Tue Jan 17 22:50:58 UTC 2006

At 6:40 PM +0100 1/17/06, Magnus Danielson wrote:

>But besides that, pulsars are cool. Since the planet is orbiting, a few pulsar
>needs to be continously measured and compensation needs to be
>performed for the
>rotation. Isn't those used for monitoring the UTC deviations in VLBI?
>
>Cheers,
>Magnus

Magnus,

I work on the Heinrich Hertz submillimeter telescope on Mt. Graham.
We are going to be doing a VLBI run in early April.

I just asked our resident VLBI guy what we'll be using for
synchronizing our telescope to the others for our upcoming run at
~230 GHz. He said that GPS is used, since it's better than a
microsecond and is readily available with no fuss. Each site will
have a hydrogen maser for the data clock. These masers are currently
being calibrated against each other.

Pulsars are nearly invisible at that frequency. We have plans to look
for an existing bright pulsar at 80 GHz and expect to need to
integrate photons for a week to see it.

--

--David Forbes, Tucson, AZ
http://www.cathodecorner.com/