[time-nuts] List of time synchronization hardware and software

Magnus Danielson cfmd at bredband.net
Wed Jan 18 00:06:40 UTC 2006

From: David Forbes <dforbes at dakotacom.net>
Subject: Re: [time-nuts] List of time synchronization hardware and software
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 15:50:58 -0700

> At 6:40 PM +0100 1/17/06, Magnus Danielson wrote:
> >
> >But besides that, pulsars are cool. Since the planet is orbiting, a few pulsar
> >needs to be continously measured and compensation needs to be
> >performed for the
> >rotation. Isn't those used for monitoring the UTC deviations in VLBI?
> >
> >Cheers,
> >Magnus
>
> Magnus,
>
> I work on the Heinrich Hertz submillimeter telescope on Mt. Graham.
> We are going to be doing a VLBI run in early April.
>
> I just asked our resident VLBI guy what we'll be using for
> synchronizing our telescope to the others for our upcoming run at
> ~230 GHz. He said that GPS is used, since it's better than a
> microsecond and is readily available with no fuss. Each site will
> have a hydrogen maser for the data clock. These masers are currently
> being calibrated against each other.

Sounds about right from what I've heard before. I know people here in Sweden
that does that too. Interesting how those people slip into the time and
navigational buissnesses as experts. Ah well.

> Pulsars are nearly invisible at that frequency. We have plans to look
> for an existing bright pulsar at 80 GHz and expect to need to
> integrate photons for a week to see it.

Hmm.... "bright pulsar" and "integrate photons for a week". You guys have an
interesting adjustment of normality scale. For me "bright" usually means time
to put on shades. So I was right, I don't want to buy such a telescope just to
keep time.

Cheers,
Magnus