[time-nuts] List of time synchronization hardware and software

Magnus Danielson cfmd at bredband.net
Wed Jan 18 01:12:05 UTC 2006

From: Warner Losh <imp at bsdimp.com>
Subject: Re: [time-nuts] List of time synchronization hardware and software
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 17:55:19 -0700 (MST)

> > I don't know the details, but it is reasnoble that the GPS reference stations
> > positions in WGS-84 will keep the GPS coordinate system locked correctly.
> > Time to read-up on the WGS-84 coordinate system and its relations to time-
> > scales again. They do relate one way or the other.
>
> The formulas to convert WGS-84 into X,Y,Z coordinates in the Earth
> Center, Earth Fixed coordinate are time independent...

That I know... but will the WGS-84 coordinate system succseed at staying put
effectively? It was more a semi-corny question to make sure that I had things
well understood. All under the theory that "Ask a semi-intelligent question and
prove it wrong, learn the nitty picky during the process.". During a period of
time we have nailed legal time and coordinate systems together with varous
succsess and methods. If we are to abandon leapseconds, is the systems
sufficiently decoupled or will the coordinate system drift as well? I assume
that it won't, but I ask the corny question to make sure and learn the details
in the process.

Cheers,
Magnus